Sunday, July 31, 2011

OpenVPN on Windows 7

I have always had a problem with OpenVPN on my Windows 7 (64 bit, pro edition) laptop. Installing would go just fine, but it was never able to connect to the VPN server, even though I checked on several other computers (even a Windows 7 one) that the settings were correct and working.

VirtualBox
As it turns out, OpenVPN and Oracle VirtualBox on the same computer just doesn't work. Uninstalling VirtualBox would make it possible to connect to my VPN server.

However, I then encountered another issue...

TUN/TAP Driver
If the VPN connection dropped, like due to an unstable wifi link, I could never get it to work after it had reconnected.

After rebooting it would work fine though, so after a bit of fiddling I came up with a workaround. Before reconnecting to the VPN server I have to disable and then re-enable the TUN/TAP network driver. Go figure...

Software Used
  • Windows 7 64 bit professional edition
  • VirtualBox 4.0.10 and 4.1.0
  • OpenVPN 2.2.1

No comments:

Post a Comment